Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bologna Book Fair

At last, news from Italy, via and email from Tessa. Sounds as if the proofs have been a bit mashed up, but otherwise good, though not sure when she says that opening and closing need refining what it is that is meant.
Below, extract of an email from Tessa in Bologna.....

Proofs reached stand yesterday afternoon and are attracting lots of compliments from our publishing partners. The little boy from the title page has been accidentally proofed into the first front endpaper, which looks a bit odd, and the background wash for the opening and closing spread needs a bit of refining, I think, also the title page, but overall the proofs look good I think - though hard to comment without the art to hand and in the hustle n bustle of the fair. Anyway, I have to say that your paper boat idea was pure genius because it makes the whole book very easy to present and people get it straight away!

So, I am feeling quietly optimistic...."


7 comments:

Kimberly said...

This a.m. I left a post telling you something would happen almost as soon as you let go! Wow! Wish I could do that with my own life! LOL! It's a happy life, take care, Kimberly

quiltcat said...

It sounds like the proofs aren't nearly as good as the book, but that it stands a very good chance of getting picked up. All paws and whiskers crossed for luck here!

Kim said...

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you and the book.

Kim x

my croft said...

"needs refining" probably just means that the color's off. The color is often a little wonky in proofs. it sounds, thogh, like tessa has things well in hand.

also hoping the book does well -- watching it grow on this blog has given me more than the usual fan's-kind of interest in its fortunes.

my croft said...

I realized -- later, of course -- that "oh I expect that the color is a little off" is probably precisely what you didn't want to hear when you're already feeling stressed about the book. But that is, as I assume you know, what proofs are for -- a sales tool, and opportunity to perfect the book, especially the art, since it's the first time the publisher sees it on the actual paper it will be printed on. And all too frequently there are all kinds of anomalies in proofs -- pages dropped, text or images inverted, material from some completely other book is suddenly in your book, and so on. And booksellers know that they're looking at proofs, not final pages, and take that into account.

I know it's hard to relinquish influence over something you've put so much of yourself into. The first time I had written an entire(!) book(!) on my own(!) and had it published I became one of "those" authors, despite having been in publishing in various editorial capacities for a couple of decades and despite having promised myself that I would NEVER be one of "those" authors. It's a maddening process. but it does yield remarkably fine results in most cases.

I hope I didn't add to the upset. My intention was completely other.

Jackie Morris said...

not upset with you. Very upset with how the proofs are looking. Can't really talk about it now. Trying to sort things out.

cassia said...

How frustrating! However, good work shines through and am sure it's gone down a storm regardless of printing errors. Best of luck to both of you with it. Hope you get to hear those lovely 'yes's' soon!

cass :0)